Adding and Managing Products
Note: You need to purchase a membership plan before you can create any products. For information on picking a plan see here.
Create a product from Vendor dashboard
Navigate to your store dashboard. Click on Products from the left menu and then Add New Products button from the top right corner. It will open a new window where you will be able to create a new product very easily by providing the most important details only.
Updating the Basic Details
The common information about a product includes the title, price, and description. A Discounted price is optional. You can even schedule discounts for a certain amount of time. For that, simply enter a starting date and end date to apply automatic discounts to your product.
- Select Category: To keep in line with SEO best practices only one category can be assigned to each product. You will need to select the category from the drop-down.
NOTE: You must select a product category. Products labeled as ‘Uncategorized’ will not show in the store. There are over 400 categories available but if you are not seeing the category you need, please contact us.
- Create Tags: In your Dashboard>Product>Add New Product. Under the Select Product Tags field, add a tag and press Enter. The word or phrase will be added as a separate tag. After you have provided all the required information, click on the Create product button. It will create the product and redirect you to the product edit page, where you will be able to add more information about your product. If you want to create the product and add another one immediately, click on the Create & add new button.
- After you have been redirected to the product edit page, there is an option to select a product type. You can select either a Simple or Variable product.
- Selecting Product Type – Simple Product: These types of products are simple and have no variants. They are single and standalone products, which does not require any other information to define different variants.
- Selecting Product Type – Variable Product: A variable product is a product that has different types of variants. For example, you might want to sell a dress which is available in 3 different colors and sizes. So this option will enable you to add those colors and sizes you need. You can add variations based on anything you like, perhaps the material used or the stitching style.
Some Variations are available to be used, however, you may need to define your own variations/attributes for your product.
- To do so, you have to select Custom Attributes and then click Add Option. Then two blank fields will appear to input the variation name and attributes. You can add as many variations and attributes as you want.
- When you are done, check the box Create variation from all attributes, click ‘Go’. You will need to approve the system warning.
The system will make all the combinations and will prompt you to add prices for those variations. If you want to disable any variation, then you can uncheck the box on the left.
- You can now edit and manage each variation. Variation details need to be managed individually including price and stock. You can also add a variation main image.
- Then press Save Variations to save the information. When you are finished with other details you will still need to press Save Product at the very bottom of the page.
What is SKU?
SKU stands for Stock Keeping Unit. It should be a unique set of characters that will not match any other product.
Enabling Product Stock Management
Let’s say you have 10 units of the product and you don’t want to receive after orders are placed for 10 units. If you enable stock management and enter 10 in the quantity field, then after 10 units are ordered, this product will show a message that all the quantities are sold and there is no stock.
But, you might want to take some pre-orders before your next batch comes up. So you can Allow Back Order to let the customers place orders even if the product is out of stock.
NOTE: For Variable products, you have to manage Stock on the individual variation rather than the product as a whole. If you set manage stock as yes but do not add the inventory for each variation your product will display as Out of Stock.
If you are selling photos, music, software, or any digital product, then this is the option to use. If you click on the Add File button, three more fields will be added.
The name field defines what the downloaded file name should be. We are letting you define that because you might name the original file to something like “new-album.zip” and you want the user to download the file as “New Album”. So this option will be useful for you to serve and organize better.
If you are serving the files from your very own site, then you can click on choose file and select. But you can also serve the file from Dropbox, Google Drive, or any other file hosting site you like.
You can set the shipping options your store uses by default. You may also override those at the product level. Tip: Adding the units (width, weight, height, and length) are good details to give the customer and they show under the Additional Details tab on the product page.
The visibility option defines the privacy of the product. By default “Catalog and Search” is selected. But if you want the product to only appear on category listing page, search results, or Wishlist as a hidden product, then you can select the option respectively.
If you select any other option than Catalog and Search then the product will not appear on the site other than the store page.
If you want the customer to receive a custom message right after purchasing the product, you can paste that in the box.
If you rather not receive reviews from the customers for a product, you can turn them on or off.